Monday, April 20, 2009

About Twitter

I enjoyed learning about Twitter. I had been hearing about it on the radio each morning on my way to work, but had not looked at it until the other night in class. I had know idea what twitting was until class as well. In class, Dr. Sullivan made us get on Twitter, but not subscribe. We were still able to view twitting topics and see how popular Twitter has gotten. We then had to divide up into groups of 2 and discuss 10 ways we could use Twitter in the Education world. My classmate and I came up with ways to use Twitter such as, reporting lost and found items, keeping students up to date with assignments, school events, weather warnings and threats, school closings, news events like 9-11, for teachers and students or even parents to chat in an informal way, tutoring available, homework assignments and help, school holidays, and to show weekly lesson plans. We also, as a class, then discussed the ideas we came up with in our groups. Many groups came up with some of the same ideas we did. Also, Dr. Sullivan had us explore Twitter, to view what others had twitted about and how they had responded. Now I will admit, that since that night in class, I have not checked Twitter much, or subscribed. Not that I feel Twitter is not useful, I just do not find myself having time to twit very often. I did not see many negatives with Twitter other than remembering to check it, if your school was to use it. It is just one more thing students have to look at and keep up with, but if teachers use it right, it could save a student from failing or missing an assignment. For me- Im not so sure how much I would use Twitter with being a PE Coach. My lesson plans revolve around the weather, which is ever changing. I could use it to put a general game plan up, with students and parents understanding that plans are subject to change. But I do feel that teachers teaching a certain subject could really benefit from using Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment